Connect. Communicate. Create. July 2009 – present
Owner (Sampling of current clients and activities)
CNYSpeaks Public Engagement Initiative: Project manager and co-founder of this multifaceted, award-winning project that hosts conversations on critical community issues. Responsibilities include grant writing, social media management, content production, partnership building, public and media relations, meeting design, facilitation and facilitator training. Over 1,000 participants engaged, generating 10,000+ comments to improve Syracuse and leading to the publication of the Citizens’ Agenda for Downtown Syracuse. Winner of the 2009 Associated Press “Best Online Content Award.”
Maxwell School of Citizenship: Developing a social media plan for Healthy Monday Syracuse, based out of the Center for Policy Research. Also write profiles of incoming students for Executive Education Programs.
Camel’s Garden Hotel: Developed a social media plan, established platforms on WordPress, Twitter and Facebook, and now continuously develop content and manage online relationships for this luxury hotel located in Telluride, Colorado.
Home HeadQuarters: Strategic consulting on engagement, public and government relations.
New York Teacher: Write articles on science, technology, engineering and math education.
The Post-Standard / Syracuse.com, 1996 – 2009
Writer, Editor & Project Manager
Civic Engagement Editor, April 2008 – July 2009
• Developed and directed CNYSpeaks, an ongoing project that I now run for the Maxwell School.
Government Team Leader, January 2008 – July 2009
• Edited and managed five reporters and served as their liaison at daily meetings with senior editors to shape the paper’s content and its online report. Beats supervised included federal government, state government, Syracuse city hall and Onondaga County government.
Revenue Generation Team Leader, January 2009 – July 2009
• Worked with 11 colleagues from various departments to create a business plan to increase readership and advertiser appeal of the “Weekend” entertainment guide.
Additional Reporting and Editing Positions, 1996 – 2008
• Madison County Bureau Chief; Assistant City Editor for Government; Onondaga County • Government Reporter & Syracuse City Hall Reporter.
• Wrote 3,000+ stories, all available at www.nexis.com.
• Madison Edition circulation grew by 5% during my tenure when other editions all lost readers.
• Developed major news stories, including an award-winning series that exposed NY State’s sale of • Erie Canal development rights for only $30,000. The story won a state AP Award and attracted national attention.
• Won the Distinguished Business Reporting Award from the New York Publishers’ Association, and a First Place New York Associated Press Award – both for a story that exposed how slumlords hide behind limited liability company laws.
Newhouse School of Communication at Syracuse University, August 2011 – present
• Ph.D. candidate in Mass Communications with an expected graduation of Spring 2014
• Full scholarship & teaching fellowship.
Maxwell School of Syracuse University, January 2010 – December 2010
Executive Master’s of Public Administration
• Focused on best practices in civic engagement, conflict management, collaborative decision making & new media management.
• Certificate of Advanced Study in Conflict Resolution.
Oberlin College, Ohio, 1991 – 1995
Bachelor’s Degree in English.
• As Editor-in-Chief, The Oberlin Review won Columbia University’s Golden Crown Award for best college weekly newspaper.
• Proficient with the programs in the Microsoft Office Suite, including Excel and PowerPoint.
• Frequent user of blog tools such as WordPress and Moveable Type.
• Personal and professional user of Facebook (including groups, fan pages and advertising) and Twitter.
• Master’s project on media management in the public sector with a focus on e-participation strategies.
• User of shared-content creation and project management tools such as wikis, Google Docs, • PBWorks, Google Groups, Home Base and others.
•Onondaga Citizens League (OCL), Community Image Study Committee Member (2010).
•OCL Green Study Committee Member (2009).
•Auburn’s Community Mosaic Project, volunteer, Web support (2010).
Hospice of the Finger Lakes, volunteer, developed Hospice’s Facebook page (2009).
• Collaborate with many nonprofits through CNYSpeaks including the Cultural Resources Council, Gifford Foundation, La Casita, Imagining America and the Arts Covenant.
• 40 Below, co-founder (2004).